Re: Software RAID and ext3 problem

On Nov 11, 2001  22:39 -0000, John Matthews wrote:
> Now if somebody tells me that ext3, 1Kb blocksize and Software-RAID doesn't
> work.... then I'll use 4Kb - but somehow, I think it should all work
> together as it is.

AFAIK, there _shouldn't_ be a problem with your setup, but because of changes
to the kernel around 2.4.10 it may be that there are some bugs with ext3
and 1kB block sizes.  Since this isn't a terribly common setup, I wouldn't
rule it out such a problem.

> To me this looks like some wierd timing thing, probably caused by load
> (texpire causes load on the fs) and some interaction with software RAID and
> ext3.

Have you had any problems since you went back to ext2?  If not, then I
imagine Andrew and Neil will be able to fix it relatively quickly.

> > The problem usually occurs during the expiration of news articles. The
> > expiration is performed by the program texpire whcihc is part of the
> > leafnode package. During the expiration, the following error occurs:
> >
> > Nov 10 07:39:17 nijinsky kernel: EXT3-fs warning (device md(9,8)):
> > ext3_unlink: Deleting nonexistent file (70034), 0

Yes, warnings are not enough to change the fs read-only (not that you
should be getting such a problem).

> > This alone doesn't seem to trip the fs into ro mode... leter in the syslog
> > (virtually last entry before the fs goes readonly) we get:
> >
> > Nov 10 07:42:46 nijinsky kernel: attempt to access beyond end of device
> > Nov 10 07:42:46 nijinsky kernel: 09:08: rw=2, want=128661505, limit=976640
> > Nov 10 07:42:46 nijinsky kernel: attempt to access beyond end of device
> > Nov 10 07:42:46 nijinsky kernel: 09:08: rw=2, want=91811841, limit=976640

The numbers don't look to have any special meaning AFAICS (not single bit
errors, ASCII text or anything).  Just trying to read garbage from disk.

> > Following the errors, it's normally a case of going into single user mode
> > and doing a manual fsck on the disk....

Having the out put from e2fsck (latest version, of course) would be useful
after such a failure, in case it points to a specific problem.

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger