how to counteract slowdown

Hello,

as far as I understood ext3 will more or less hog a machine when writing away the journal. A customer is having a slowdown every 5 minues for about 30 seconds, the machine becomes more or less unusable.

This is an NFS server serving 300 Gigs spread over 2 NFS shares.

I'm wondering what would be the best course of action:
 a) make the journal bigger?
 b) make the journal smaller?
 c) switch from ordered to writeback?

Can somebody give me a hint?