Re: how to counteract slowdown

On Mon, Nov 12, 2001 at 04:18:59PM -0000, Patrick C. F. Ernzer wrote:
> Hello,
>
> as far as I understood ext3 will more or less hog a machine when writing
> away the journal. A customer is having a slowdown every 5 minues for about
> 30 seconds, the machine becomes more or less unusable.
>
> This is an NFS server serving 300 Gigs spread over 2 NFS shares.
>
> I'm wondering what would be the best course of action:
>  a) make the journal bigger?
>  b) make the journal smaller?
>  c) switch from ordered to writeback?
>
> Can somebody give me a hint?

What was the previous FS?  Ext2?

What is the current mode?  The default (ordered)?

What are the write patterns for this FS?  Large contiguous writes? random
writes?  Read, write, read?  (I'm thinking of each individual use, and
overall usage)

If you have random writes, data=journal mode might help...

Mike