Re: how to counteract slowdown

On Mon, 12 Nov 2001, Mike Fedyk wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 13, 2001 at 01:47:25PM +1100, Daniel Pittman wrote:
>> On Mon, 12 Nov 2001, Andrew Morton wrote:

[...]

>> > Interesting.  Thanks.  We need to start checkpointing earlier,
>> > non-blockingly.  hmm.
>>
>> Please.  At the moment, performance on my machine has some notable
>> hiccups when fetching mail.
>
> What is your kernel version? This sounds like what the VM would cause.
> Can you reproduce under ext2?

Linux inanna 2.4.14 #1 Wed Nov 7 11:03:19 EST 2001 i686 unknown

It's not the VM, so far as I can tell, because it happens any time I do
heavy writes, on exactly the five second boundary of either kflushd or
kjournald.

It's not reproducible on ext2; the performance issue was not there. Note
that I have not done this within a week but the behavior was *exactly*
the same.

        Daniel

--
No, no, you're not thinking, you're just being logical.
        -- Niels Bohr