Re: 2.4.14 ext3

Steve Lee wrote:

> i have patched the kernel and
> recompiled the kernel with the
> ext3 support, however,
> when i boot up, i get this error below,
> what have i missed ?
>
> request_module[block-major-3]: Root fs not mounted

Hi,

block-major-3 is for IDE devices /dev/hd{a, b,..}. Since
you compiled the support of IDE as module (we can
see it in your .config), and you don't use initrd,
the kernel has no way to access to the disk to find the
module. This explains why you get the message:

> VFS: Cannot open root device "hda6" or 03:06

Compile the kernel with bult-in IDE support.

Liu