Re: [PROBLEM] setting data=writeback in /etc/fstab for /

Hi,

On Mon, Nov 12, 2001 at 07:24:47AM +0100, Ph. Marek wrote:

> To avoid this problem I see some alternatives:
>
> - Don't use another journaling mode except the default on /.

It should work: it just needs to be done at mount time.  I'll add a
persistent field to the filesystem to record the default journaling
mode so that this can be done once and for all without any other
user-space changes.

> - use initrd or pivot_root

Right.

> - change ext3 so that journaling changes on mounted fs's are simple ignored.

If the user asks for something illegal, it's far better to say no than
to silently drop the user's request.