Re: root fs mounts as ext2, others ext3

Hi,

On Sat, Nov 10, 2001 at 04:56:16PM -0500, Andreas Boman wrote:
> I have ext2 compiled in the kernel (so i can mount the initrd image), all other filesystems are modules. The initrd image contains aic7xxx, jbd, and ext3 modules.

> /etc/mtab reports the filesystem mounted ext3
> /proc/mounts reports it mounted ext2
> /proc/filesystems lists ext3
>
> If I umount other partitions that are ext3 the module becomes 'unused'.
> The filesystem was created 'properly' with mke2fs -j, and mounts as ext3 if it is compiled in the kernel.
>
> Question is: Am I doing something wrong, or is this a bug?

Your initrd needs to specify the filesystem type when it mounts the
root filesystem.  At least on Red Hat systems, that is done by making
sure that /etc/fstab has the right fstype in place when you create
your initrd with mkinitrd.  Rerunning mkinitrd (and then lilo if
you're not using grub) ought to fix things if this is all that's
wrong.