Re: [PROBLEM] setting data=writeback in /etc/fstab for /

On Tue, Nov 13, 2001 at 03:47:38PM +0000, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Nov 12, 2001 at 07:24:47AM +0100, Ph. Marek wrote:
> > - change ext3 so that journaling changes on mounted fs's are simple ignored.
>
> If the user asks for something illegal, it's far better to say no than
> to silently drop the user's request.

I'd rather see a great big warning with capital letters.  It reduces the
ammount of support needed.

There are many things that we can deal with with a bit of logic in the
brain, but it mystifies many other people... :(

I've come accross this same problem myself when I tried to make my /
data=journal.  "Just change /etc/fstab" I thought...  Changed, and reboot,
now I have a read only / and my system is trying to start all of the
services normally... :(  Rebooted back in single user mode, and figured it
out, asked the list (a few months ago) and had my answer.

I've since seen that "rootflags=data=journal" will make ext2 panic.  :(  Now
I have the default boot kernel use the above flag, but right below is
another that points to the same kernel without the flag...  This problem
comes up in /etc/fstab also... There's got to be a better way to deal with
ext2-only kernels in user space/booting.

Mike