Re: [PROBLEM] setting data=writeback in /etc/fstab for /

On Nov 13, 2001  14:31 -0800, Mike Fedyk wrote:
> I've come accross this same problem myself when I tried to make my /
> data=journal.  "Just change /etc/fstab" I thought...  Changed, and reboot,
> now I have a read only / and my system is trying to start all of the
> services normally... :(  Rebooted back in single user mode, and figured it
> out, asked the list (a few months ago) and had my answer.

If you really want to be tricky (I don't know if you do) you can force
a filesystem to be data=journal mode by creating a "v1" journal on it.
This is by no means a great way to do it, but it works.  Since the old
"v1" journal does not support the revoke feature, it cannot work with
any metadata-only journaling mode (ordered, writeback), so it forces
data journaling, just like the old days when data journaling was the
only option.

To do this on an existing fs, you will need to remove the journal and
create a new one, using the (undocumented) "-J v1_superblock" option.

Note that this _should_ all work, but I have not tested this in a while.
You should be able to see in your syslog that it mounts with data=journal
mode for the root fs.

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger