Re: [PROBLEM] setting data=writeback in /etc/fstab for /

Hi,

On Tue, Nov 13, 2001 at 02:31:20PM -0800, Mike Fedyk wrote:

> > If the user asks for something illegal, it's far better to say no than
> > to silently drop the user's request.
>
> I'd rather see a great big warning with capital letters.  It reduces the
> ammount of support needed.

			printk(KERN_ERR
			       "EXT3-fs: cannot change data "
			       "mode on remount\n");

doesn't count as a great big warning?

It's not the kernel's job to work around invalid user requests, in
principle.  We already print an error and return.

> I've since seen that "rootflags=data=journal" will make ext2 panic.  :(  Now
> I have the default boot kernel use the above flag, but right below is
> another that points to the same kernel without the flag...  This problem
> comes up in /etc/fstab also... There's got to be a better way to deal with
> ext2-only kernels in user space/booting.

Yep, putting the default into the fs superblock itself will work: the
value will be silently ignored by ext2.