Re: 7.2 might have ate my partition table.

On 14 Nov 2001, Nigel Metheringham wrote:

> On Tue, 2001-11-13 at 17:54, Tom Diehl wrote:
> > I cc the ext3 list on this because the partitions were converted
> > from ext2 to ext3 during the Roswell upgrade from 7.1.
>
> Its incredibly unlikely (in fact I'd say its impossible) for it to be an
> ext3 issue.   Your most likely candidates are the cpqarray hardware,
> which has some bizzarre behaviours occaisionally, or possibly the kernel
> has scribbled on the partition table - VM fault of some sort maybe.

I tend to agree with you since this has been running with ext3 for 3 or
4 months but I wanted the opinions of others more knowledgable.

I am also wondering if there is any way to determine if this is a
cpqarray problem or a kernel thing?

> Do you have the compaq monitoring stuff on that machine?  If so thats
> almost certainly your problem - compaq supply those as binary kernel
> modules which they hack on install to match the kernel versioning.  I
> suggest anyone considering using them not do so and tell the compaq
> sales droids to provide source.  [I have evidence that they do scribble
> on random memory - most likely due to a kernel or toolchain version
> mismatch].

No. This is a standard Redhat install. No compaq monitoring stuff.
I use something called Big Brother just to monitor the machine to see
if it is alive.

> For the record, I have had compaq servers with cpqarrays running ext3
> for well over a year now.

Thanks for the response.

--
......Tom		Dysfunction The Only Consistent Feature of All
tdiehl rogueind com	of Your Dissatisfying Relationships is You.