Re: sync writes - was Re: how to counteract slowdown

On Nov 15, 2001  09:48 +1100, Neil Brown wrote:
> ext3 sync,data=writeback
>      async         0  200
>      fsync         0  300        The data isn't being synced??
>      osync       100    2        Now O_SYNC is being honoured
> ext3 async,data=writeback
>      async         0    0
>      fsync         0  200        Again, the data isn't being synced.
>      osync       100    2

I haven't looked at the code closely, but it _may_ be that with writeback
you are still getting "data=journal" behaviour for your data writes (i.e.
they are going into the journal and not the fs).  I recall at times during
the ext3 development there were comments about this, possibly because of
revoke handling and such.  You could try running the data=journal test
last to ensure that any data blocks associated with the file are out of
the journal (I don't know if this will change the results).

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger