box standard kernel 2.2.x failes to mount cleanly unmounted ext3 partition

Hi Everyone!
Just to let you know,
I am very happy ext3 made it thorugh to linux kernel 2.4.15
We have installed ext3 on several machines here at jtrix.org (including two
laptops) and everything seems to be working fine.
Our only concern is for our two public servers. They run linux 2.2.19 for
stability reasons. On one of the laptops (dual booting 2.2.19 and 2.4.14)
kernel 2.2.19 failed to mount (as ext2, the kernel was not patched) a cleanly
unmounted ext3 root partition (cleanly unmounted by 2.4.14).
I can't reproduce the problem at the time being (the laptop is being used as
a second Xinerama head at the moment), but I will report what messages we get.
Has anybody had positive experience in mounting ext3 partitions as ext2 after
a clean umount?

Regards
apeiron (filippo jtrix org)