Re: box standard kernel 2.2.x failes to mount cleanly unmounted ext3 partition

On Nov 15, 2001  15:22 +0000, apeiron wrote:
> Our only concern is for our two public servers. They run linux 2.2.19 for
> stability reasons. On one of the laptops (dual booting 2.2.19 and 2.4.14)
> kernel 2.2.19 failed to mount (as ext2, the kernel was not patched) a cleanly
> unmounted ext3 root partition (cleanly unmounted by 2.4.14).

There is a _very_ old bug that used to cause this, but it has been fixed
for a long time.  What version of ext3 are you using?

> I can't reproduce the problem at the time being (the laptop is being used as
> a second Xinerama head at the moment), but I will report what messages we get.
> Has anybody had positive experience in mounting ext3 partitions as ext2 after
> a clean umount?

Shouldn't be a problem at all (anymore).  I've done this many times.  At
the very early days of ext3, there was a bug that the ext3 RECOVERY flag
was not cleared at clean shutdown, but it was fixed for a year or more.

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger