Re: EXT3 with 2.2.20 - Is it stable enough for a production server th at is used 24X7?

On Nov 15, 2001  20:37 +0100, Giulio Orsero wrote:
> >How big is your journal?  If you have a very busy filesystem (which bonnie

> Didn't specify any size, so I presume the default.
> File system is 2GB and is the only one to be mounted ext3.

You can check the size with:
debugfs <dev>
debugfs> stats      (will tell you the journal inode number, probably 8)
Journal inode:            8
debugfs> stat <8>   (or whatever the inode number is, you need the <>)
Inode: 8   Type: regular    Mode:  0600   Flags: 0x0   Generation: 0
User:     0   Group:     0   Size: 33554432
File ACL: 0    Directory ACL: 0
Links: 1   Blockcount: 65616

> >Note that unless you have a real need for it, you can easily run with a
> >smaller journal.  The journal size is picked based on the size of the
> >filesystem, but it is somewhat arbitrary, since we don't even have tools
>
> What size do you advise? ( I assume I can take out the journal flag and
> recreate with -J size=xxx, right?)

Yes, "tune2fs -O^has_journal <dev>" on unmounted fs, then run
"tune2fs -J size=4 <dev>" to give you the smallest journal.  For running
bonnie (or normal operations) with data=ordered, it shouldn't have any
noticable performance issues.

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger