Re: EXT3 with 2.2.20 - Is it stable enough for a production server th at is used 24X7?

On Nov 16, 2001  08:10 +0100, Giulio Orsero wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Nov 2001 13:25:52 -0700, you wrote:
> >You can check the size with:
> >debugfs <dev>
> >debugfs> stats      (will tell you the journal inode number, probably 8)
> It was 32MB, I set it to 4MB.
> I made 4 consecutive bonnie runs with -s 128 and all was ok for the 1st
> time, even if sometime mem was very low (vmstat displayed about 500k for
> 10/15sec).
>
> Since I have 8 fs on this system, if I enable a 4MB journal on all of them
> and mount them all as ext3, will I have the same problem as with 1 fs with 1
> 32MB journal?

Only if you are running bonnie on all of them at the same time.  Normally
ext3 will only hold (at most) 5 seconds of _metadata_ changes to your
filesystems in memory.  That will normally not even be close to filling
the journal.

Probably in 2.5, there will be changes to allow the VM to tell the
journal to free up some memory when it is running low.

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger