Re: EXT3 with 2.2.20 - Is it stable enough for a production server th at is used 24X7?

On Sat, 17 Nov 2001 18:32:14 -0500, you wrote:

>If you must use 2.2, here are the patches against ext3-0.0.7a.  Note
>Still, if you must use 2.2, these patches will allow you to throttle
>the number of dirty buffers which ext3 can hold pinned.  You'll have
>to adjust /proc/sys/fs/jfs-max-dirty-buffers to taste.... (if you

Is this number global or relative to each ext3 fs?
What would be a safe value for a system with 4MB journal and 4 or 8 ext3 fs,
with say 64MB or 128MB system memory?

Is there a formula I can use that give me an idea of a safe value of that
number, given # of ext3 fs, journal size, system memory?

The reason I still don't use 2.4 is because only recently it started
stabilizing, and I have many 2.2 systems that would require a complete
upgrade (they are rh6.x based and I think that surely many things will break
upgrading single rpms needed for 2.4) to switch to 2.4.

Thanks

--
giulioo pobox com