gunzipping the patch...

Hi,

I'm sure this is a really stupid question, but when I type in the line:

gunzip < ~/ext3-***extraStuffHere***.gz | patch -p1

as in the installation guide, it tells me that the patch is not a proper gzip file. What do I do???

Also, when it says "make menuconfig", does the menuconfig file appear once the patch is ungzipped, or should it be there already? I'm kinda worried because it says that later on you should build the kernel, but all the HOW-TOs I've seen say that the existing kernel is somewhere in /usr/src/linux/, but I don't have a linux directory in /usr/src. Is this a problem (btw, I'm running Mandrake Linux).

Ugh, I hate being a newbie...

Thanks in advance!
Cheers,
Tom.