Re: gunzipping the patch...

Thomas Pocock <psyttgp nottingham ac uk> wrote:
> gunzip < ~/ext3-***extraStuffHere***.gz | patch -p1
>
> as in the installation guide, it tells me that the patch is not a proper gzip file. What do I do???

The problem is that your browser has automatically uncompressed this
file without removing the .gz part. You can apply the patch by doing:

patch -p1 < patchfile.gz

in the linux kernel source directory.

> all the HOW-TOs I've seen say that the existing kernel is somewhere in
> /usr/src/linux/, but I don't have a linux directory in /usr/src.
> Is this a problem (btw, I'm running Mandrake Linux).

Then you need to install the kernel source which I'm sure is available
from mandrake's FTP or on their CD. After that, apply the patch.
--

André Dahlqvist <andre dahlqvist telia com>