Re: how to counteract slowdown

Hi,

On Mon, Nov 19, 2001 at 01:01:32PM -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:

> Until it's empty, I'm afraid.   If we determine that there is
> not sufficient room in the journal we write out _all_ checkpointable
> data.

At least that's something we can fix.  My old 2.2 code would walk
through transactions on the checkpoint list in order until there was
enough free space (the "nblocks" argument to log_do_checkpoint).
Andrew's checkpoint streamlining seems to have lost that, but we can
restore it if we want to.

Whether we _do_ want to is a different matter, as we'd risk trickling
out so slowly that the disk would remain permanently busy, albeit with
a short enough write queue that latency wouldn't be too bad.  I'll
have to experiment with this...