ext3/2.2.19 vs. ext3/2.4.14

Hi,

I am starting to do some benchmarks using mongo (www.namesys.com), and I
am surprised by the big difference between ext3/2.2.19 and ext3/2.4.14.
Sometimes the latter performs 3 or 4 times faster. Someone has similar
results or is there something wrong in my test ? Attached is the
benchmark.

By the way, during the test, I got the message

kernel: EXT3-fs error (device ide0(3,10)) in ext3_new_inode: error 28

I guess this is because I ran out of inode ? But the kernel should not
complain about it, the usual message is "no space left on the device"
(that I also got during the test).

Liu