Re: lost+found missing, Bug or feature?

On Wed, 21 Nov 2001, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Nov 21, 2001 at 01:59:11PM -0700, Andreas Dilger wrote:
> > On Nov 21, 2001  12:22 -0500, Tom Diehl wrote:
> > > I noticed that some of my ext3 partitions have a lost+found directory
> > > and some do not. Which is correct? mke2fs -j makes the lost+found
> > > but after a fresh install of 7.2 there are no lost+found on
> > > partitions that were formatted. I want to make them all the same but
> > > I am not sure which is correct. I do not plan on going back to
> > > ext2 but.........
> >
> > Well, this must be a Red Hat policy (not one I agree with, at that).
>
> Definitely not.  All my 7.2 boxes have got lost+found on every fs.
>
> Is this really repeatable?

My mistake!! Sorry. What I said above is backwards. The filesystems
without lost+found are filesystems that were converted from ext2 to ext3
by upgrading from RHL 7.1 to roswell. We had some problems with the system
so we did a fresh install of 7.2. The filesystems without the lost+found
dirs are filesystems like /home that we did NOT reformat. They have a .journal
file in them. So I am not sure if roswell got it wrong or what. I can
remake the lost+found  no problem. I just was not sure if they were suddenly
not needed anymore. The filesystems that were reformatted during the install
HAVE the lost+found. I guess there could have been something with the way
the roswell installer was doing the conversions but the 7.2 one seems
to make the lost+found dirs.

Sorry for the confusion.

--
......Tom		Dysfunction The Only Consistent Feature of All
tdiehl rogueind com	of Your Dissatisfying Relationships is You.