Re: Assertion failure in journal_bmap() at journal.c:636: "ret != 0"

Jim Radford wrote:

> A scsi error (caused possibly by a loose cable) has left the processes
> accessing my ext3 file system hung in an unkillable state after it
> triggered an assert in ext3's journaling layer.  I assume my only
> recourse at this point is to reboot.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.
> Log messages appended.

Thanks, Jim.  ext3's philosophy is "I'd rather crash your computer
than scribble on your disk".  Stephen recently went through the
filesystem and changed things so that the filesystem is turned
readonly when things go wrong, rather than killing the machine.

But the situation where we get a physical I/O error when locating
journal blocks slipped through.   I'll add it to the ttd list.