Re: EXT3 with 2.2.20 - Is it stable enough for a production server th at is used 24X7?

On Thu, Nov 22, 2001 at 08:25:26AM +0100, Giulio Orsero wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Nov 2001 00:34:52 -0500, you wrote:
>
> >> What would be a safe value for a system with 4MB journal and 4 or 8 ext3 fs,
> >> with say 64MB or 128MB system memory?
> >It's hard to say; it really depends on your workload and how many ext3
> >filesystems you have.
>
> The problem is that I don't know the order of magnitude of that value.
> Is that in bytes, 1k or 4k?
> If I set it to 1024, is it considered 4MB (ie: 1024 * 4k)?

The unit is filesystem buffers; so it depends on whether you are using
filesystems with 1k or 4k blocksizes.  Given that there is a single
value for the entire system (it really should have been a tunable
value livinig in the ext3 journal superblock), yes, this is patch will
result in unfairness if you have 1k and 4k filesystems simultanously
mounted on your system.

See previous comments about this patch really being a hack....

							- Ted