Re: pivot_root problem on RH7.2

Martin Eriksson wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: "Thomas Jalsovsky" <admin postel sk>
To: "Martin Eriksson" <nitrax giron wox org>
Sent: Thursday, November 22, 2001 5:38 PM
Subject: Re: pivot_root problem on RH7.2

Hello,

I compileda again the kernel (2.4.14 + ext3-2.4-0.9.15-2414). IDE
kontroller, ext3 are directly compiled into the kernel. Now I got another
error message:
----------------------
hda5: bad access: block=2, count=2
end_request: I/O error, dev 03:05 (hda), sector 2
EXT3-fs: unable to read superblock
----------------------
With an older kernel (2.4.9-13 - original from RH package), I can boot up
the system (no fs problem, no superblock error).

=( Well I don't know what has happened either, so I'll just forward your message to ext3-users, including our previous conversation. Actually I thought I did that all the time, but I seem to have removed the ext3-users list from the "To" field at some point.

----Previous mail----

request_module[block_major-3]: Root fs not mounted
VFS: cannot open root device "hda5" or 03:05
Please append a connect "Root=" boot option

What does 03:05 mean? Where can I change it (if it is needed)?

Well it says everything in the messages...

03:05 means "hda5" (03 is the major device number and means hda or

hdb,

and

05 is the minor device number and means fifth partition on hda, hdb
partitions begins at 65 (hdb = 03:64 and hdb1 = 03:65))

You can change it on the LILO prompt by appending the "root=" option

your

kernel image, for example:
LILO: linux root=/dev/hdb2

This is propably *not* your problem though.

OK, now I know what does 03:05 mean. Thank you. I use GRUB and my config
is:
default 2
fallback 0
timeout 5
splashimage=(hd0,4)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
title Red Hat Linux (2.4.14)
       root (hd0,4)
       kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.14 ro root=/dev/hda5 hdb=ide-scsi

What I made:
patch kernel 2.4.14 with ext3, configure kernel (ext3 to module JBD
debugging), compile, copy System.map to /boot, copy vmlinuz to /boot

(of

course I renamed for the right kernel version), reboot, kernel panic

:-(

Which kernel modules are needed for ext3?

I assume that you also included ext2 support?

cat .config|grep CONFIG_EXT2
CONFIG_EXT3_FS=m
CONFIG_EXT2_FS=y

I tryed directly compile ext3 into the kernel, the same situation. I

made

new initrd image with jbd.o and ext3.o modules, the same situation.

Did you check that "make modules" did go through compile? You might

have

been bitten by the bugged initrd in 2.4.14, which affects ext3.

Yes, I made: make dep modules modules_install bzImage

Well everything looks nice and sweet =(

Hmm... did you check that the ramdisk of 2.4.14 was not bugged when you
compiled the bzImage also? Maybe your ramdisk does never load and messes
things up. Have you tried without booting initrd?

Do you have more than one IDE controller (such as a RAID controller or
Promise/Highpoint)? In that case, have you tried "ide=reverse" at boot?

No, I haven't. I'm sitting behind an ASUS 8400 notebook with 30GB HDD.

What does
grep CONFIG_BLK /usr/src/linux/.config
say?

CONFIG_BLK_DEV_FD=y # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_XD is not set # CONFIG_BLK_CPQ_DA is not set # CONFIG_BLK_CPQ_CISS_DA is not set # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_DAC960 is not set CONFIG_BLK_DEV_LOOP=m CONFIG_BLK_DEV_NBD=m CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM=y CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM_SIZE=4096 CONFIG_BLK_DEV_INITRD=y # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_MD is not set # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_LVM is not set CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE=m # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_HD_IDE is not set # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_HD is not set

CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK=m <= put "y" here or add specific modul to initrd

# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK_VENDOR is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK_FUJITSU is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK_IBM is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK_MAXTOR is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK_QUANTUM is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK_SEAGATE is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK_WD is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_COMMERIAL is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_TIVO is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECS is not set
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECD=m
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDETAPE is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEFLOPPY is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDESCSI is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_CMD640 is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_CMD640_ENHANCED is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_ISAPNP is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RZ1000 is not set
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEPCI=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA_PCI=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_ADMA=y
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_OFFBOARD is not set
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA=y
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_AEC62XX is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_ALI15X3 is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_AMD74XX is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_CMD64X is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_CY82C693 is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_CS5530 is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_HPT34X is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_HPT366 is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_PIIX is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_NS87415 is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_OPTI621 is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_PDC202XX is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SVWKS is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SIS5513 is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SLC90E66 is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_TRM290 is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_VIA82CXXX is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE_MODES is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_ATARAID is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_ATARAID_PDC is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_ATARAID_HPT is not set
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SD=m
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SR=m
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SR_VENDOR is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_3W_XXXX_RAID is not set

Thanks,
Thomas