Re: core dumped messages from tune2fs

On Nov 24, 2001  13:45 +0000, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 23, 2001 at 05:55:00PM -0700, Andreas Dilger wrote:
> >
> > Grr, it _looks_ like this is a problem in libc, but I haven't checked
> > closely.  Running under GDB with a suitably limited "unlimited" setup:
>
> How did you "unlimit" it?  "ulimit -f unlimited" won't work --- the
> kernel's and bash's ideas of "unlimited" are not the same, and you end
> up with a 2GB limit.  You need to login as an unlimited user to get
> that right.

No, that's exactly what I was testing.  My normal user IDs don't have any
limits, so I have not been able to reproduce this problem.  Now I see that
"ulimit -f unlimited" is what is the cause of the problem, so I can finally
reproduce the problem.

> > Program received signal SIGXFSZ, File size limit exceeded.
>
> That's a kernel bug --- opening a block device should never result in
> SIGXFSZ, purely on compatibility grounds.

I agree.  There appear to be a bunch of different things that need to
be fixed to bring it back to the expected behaviour.

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger