EXT3 crash: ext3_free_blocks: bit already cleared

I had a failure over the weekend of
my ext3 filesystems.

Hardware:
  Dell 2550 (dual PIII 1 Ghz, 1GB ram, Acenic GigE card)

Software:
  linux-2.4.14
  ext3-2.4-0.9.15-2414
  Trond's NFS patches (pathconf, tune,read,rpc_blk)

The filesystem is RAID0 using LVM (1.0.1-rc4).
The disks are connected using fiber channel
(qlogic 2200, qlax00-4.27beta).

I was generating high load on my nfs server
that is using ext3 filesystems.  I started to
get the following error:

EXT3-fs error (device lvm(58,6)): ext3_free_blocks: bit already cleared for bloc
k 290754
EXT3-fs error (device lvm(58,6)): ext3_free_blocks: bit already cleared for bloc
k 289980
EXT3-fs error (device lvm(58,6)): ext3_free_blocks: bit already cleared for bloc
k 289981

(Many more errors than this)

And then I lost that NFS filesystem.

The load was generated by 16 processes each from
a different client doing the following repetitively:

   fn=/scratchx/file.$$
   dd if=/dev/zero of=$fn bs=1024k count=1024
   dd if=$fn of=/dev/null bs=1024k count=1024
   rm -f $fn

The nfs clients are running linux-2.4.12 under
alpha with all of Trond's NFS patches applied.

Each client job is submitted through PBS (queuing
system) so it could be entirely possible that after
days of this test the two processes on separate
nodes had the same process id (so $$ is the same).

I read that before ext3-0.9.9 that this could
happen if the file was deleted underneath the
process that is writing to the file.  Is this still
true?

Craig

--
Craig Tierney (ctierney hpti com)