Re: EXT3 crash: ext3_free_blocks: bit already cleared

On Mon, Nov 26, 2001 at 09:54:37PM +0000, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Nov 26, 2001 at 09:05:38AM -0700, Craig Tierney wrote:
> > I had a failure over the weekend of
> > my ext3 filesystems.
> >
> > Hardware:
> >   Dell 2550 (dual PIII 1 Ghz, 1GB ram, Acenic GigE card)
> >
> > Software:
> >   linux-2.4.14
> >   ext3-2.4-0.9.15-2414
> >   Trond's NFS patches (pathconf, tune,read,rpc_blk)
> >
> > The filesystem is RAID0 using LVM (1.0.1-rc4).
>
> Have you moved the LVM volume around at all while live?  LVM still has
> data-corrupting bugs affecting ext3 in its volume-move code.

After I do a vgcreate and lvcreate and don't change anything.  I
do not change which node mounts the LVM volume (since multiple nodes
can see the same volumes over Fiber Channel).  So I think the answer
is no.

> > I was generating high load on my nfs server
> > that is using ext3 filesystems.  I started to
> > get the following error:
> >
> > EXT3-fs error (device lvm(58,6)): ext3_free_blocks: bit already cleared for bloc
> > k 290754
> > EXT3-fs error (device lvm(58,6)): ext3_free_blocks: bit already cleared for bloc
> > k 289980
> > EXT3-fs error (device lvm(58,6)): ext3_free_blocks: bit already cleared for bloc
> > k 289981
> >
> > (Many more errors than this)
>
> Is it repeatable?

It has only happened once.  I will restart my test, but have every process
read/write the same file.  It isn't a good thing to do to nfs but it
shouldn't crash.  If my theory is right about the situation that caused
it this should trigger it quicker.

Craig