Re: ext3 problem with loop devices?

On Mon, 26 Nov 2001, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Nov 26, 2001 at 07:12:58AM +0100, Irmund Thum wrote:
> >
> > I've experienced a general ext3 problem when trying to install Suse 7.3
> > on a newbies new computer.
>
> SuSE-7.2 had ext3 problems as shipped: it wouldn't boot into ext3 root
> filesystems, and used a version of the kernel (2.4.10) which had a bad
> bug which prevents tune2fs from running correctly on a live
> filesystem, so you can't upgrade old ext2 filesystems.  I think they
> have got updates for both problems available.

I have installed SuSE 7.3 using ext3 right from the start; everything
seemed to be working fine. After upgrading to 2.4.15 I noticed that
mk_initrd (SuSE's version to create an init ram disk image) often was
failing. After applying 2.4.16-pre1 it was working again, so I think the
iput() bug in 2.4.15 was the reason.

Cheers,
Andreas.