Re: fsck still running as of ext2 (even tough it is ext3)

On Sep 28, 2001  20:48 -0400, lx wrote:
> I've downloaded and installed kernel-2.4.9 from rawhide in order to use ext3
> support  (I've also upgraded the necessary packages).
>
> I've used tune2fs to make the current ext2 partitions (incluind /) and
> changed fstab to reflect that.
>
> In order to test if everything is ok (this is a test machine) I've switched
> off with no shutdown.  Except the / all other partitions accused a
> "journaling something at boot time".
>
> Since I can see the .journal I assume that it may be a explicit call to
> fsck.ext2 somewhere (/etc/rc.xxxx?) .
>
> Is this correct?

Yes, you still run fsck.ext2 (or fsck.ext3, it's the same program) on ext3
filesystems.  The big difference is that with an ext3 filesystem you will
only get a message "/dev/hdx clean" and no check will normally be done.

However, IF there is a problem with the filesystem itself (not just a bad
shutdown or crash, but a REAL problem like a bad disk, or a bad kernel
corrupting your data) then you will still get a full fsck, because a
journal CANNOT protect you from such things.

If you are getting a full fsck at boot, then there is something wrong.
Either you are not really using ext3 (check /proc/mounts to verify type,
as "df" believes /etc/mtab which can be wrong), or there is some other
problem with your system/software.  Note that the 2.4.10 kernel has
problems for new ext3 users, so don't use it.

Cheers, Andreas