Re: fsck still running as of ext2 (even tough it is ext3)

On Sep 30, 2001  22:36 -0700, Mike Fedyk wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 30, 2001 at 11:04:01PM -0600, Andreas Dilger wrote:
> > Note that the 2.4.10 kernel has
> > problems for new ext3 users, so don't use it.
>
> While true, that's kinda vague, and could be taken as reports of corruption
> type problems, which have not been reported against 2.4.10 IIRC.
>
> More specifically, it won't convert mounted filesystems anymore, where
> previous Linus kernels did and current -ac kernels still do.

Correct.  I was being "abrupt" because I've answered this question a bunch
of times already, and it is easier to say "don't use it" than go into the
full explanation of what works, and what doesn't.

> People may not agree with the large changes in 2.4 recently, but let's try
> to keep politics out and stick to the straight facts...

I don't see how you think politics are involved...  I didn't say "use -ac,
it's the greatest", and I didn't say "Linus kernels suck, d00d".  Since the
original user had a 2.4.9 kernel, I was simply advocating that he not
change to the 2.4.10 kernel (which I might have done in a similar situation,
because I'm the type who would rather see if a bug is fixed in the current
release rather than complain about bugs in old releases).

Note that it is entirely _possible_ (don't know if there are confirmed cases
or not) that e2fsck on a mounted root partition is entirely ineffective in
2.4.10 for the same reason that there are problems for new ext3 users.

Note also that there should be a smiley in there somewhere, to indicate
that I'm not upset or anything, but I can't find a good place to put one ;-).

Cheers, Andreas