Re: e2fsprogs 1.23 problem handling 2.2 version 1 format journals

On Oct 01, 2001  11:44 +0100, Nigel Metheringham wrote:
> This box has previously had 2.2 kernels with Stephen's ext3 patches, and
> looks like it was last rebuilt from scratch in early March.   I suspect
> it may have an old version 1 format journal on the filesystems.
> [Unfortunately I managed to destroy the journals in the process - since
> I had to remove and recreate them to get the machine usable]
>
> On attempted fsck of the filesystems, I get the error
>   External journal has multiple filesystem users (unsupported)
>
> This error was thrown for all filesystems (which would all have had the
> journals created at the same time).  All filesystems had previously been
> cleanly unmounted.

This is a known problem of older 2.2 journal code.  It forgot to zero out
the rest of the superblock when updating the journal format, so there is
garbage in now-used fields.  This problem was fixed in later ext3-2.2 code.

Since there is no useful data in an empty journal, it is perfectly safe to
delete the journal and re-create a valid one.

> BTW what does the 2.4 code do with V1 journals?

I think it is still supported, but you can only use them in data=journal
mode.  You need to mount with "journal=update" or something like that
to get it to a V2 journal.

Cheers, Andreas