Re: fsck still running as of ext2 (even tough it is ext3)

On Mon, Oct 01, 2001 at 12:01:28AM -0600, Andreas Dilger wrote:
> On Sep 30, 2001  22:36 -0700, Mike Fedyk wrote:
> > On Sun, Sep 30, 2001 at 11:04:01PM -0600, Andreas Dilger wrote:
> > > Note that the 2.4.10 kernel has
> > > problems for new ext3 users, so don't use it.
> >
> > While true, that's kinda vague, and could be taken as reports of corruption
> > type problems, which have not been reported against 2.4.10 IIRC.
> >
> > More specifically, it won't convert mounted filesystems anymore, where
> > previous Linus kernels did and current -ac kernels still do.
>
> Correct.  I was being "abrupt" because I've answered this question a bunch
> of times already, and it is easier to say "don't use it" than go into the
> full explanation of what works, and what doesn't.
>

> > People may not agree with the large changes in 2.4 recently, but let's try
> > to keep politics out and stick to the straight facts...
>
> I don't see how you think politics are involved...  I didn't say "use -ac,
> it's the greatest", and I didn't say "Linus kernels suck, d00d".  Since the
> original user had a 2.4.9 kernel, I was simply advocating that he not
> change to the 2.4.10 kernel (which I might have done in a similar situation,
> because I'm the type who would rather see if a bug is fixed in the current
> release rather than complain about bugs in old releases).

True, but from the testing I've been giving ext3, it has worked great, and
"2.4.10 ... problems ... new ext3 users" looks like it may scare some people, when
there really isn't a problem with ext3 itself.

> Note that it is entirely _possible_ (don't know if there are confirmed cases
> or not) that e2fsck on a mounted root partition is entirely ineffective in
> 2.4.10 for the same reason that there are problems for new ext3 users.

This looks interesting...

> Note also that there should be a smiley in there somewhere, to indicate
> that I'm not upset or anything, but I can't find a good place to put one ;-).

I'm splitting hairs... There's just too many people who would read your
comment above, and think ext3 isn't ready...

Ok, I'm done.  I just wanted to have a clairification in the archives...

> Cheers, Andreas

Mike