Re: permission denied while trying to create journal file

Hi,

On Sun, Sep 30, 2001 at 12:50:51PM -0400, John Ruttenberg wrote:

> Well, on thinking about this a little, I hope what I did is safe.  Here is
> what I did:
>
>     1. boot from rescue disk
>     2. mount other disk containing statically linked version of tune2fs
>     3. tune2fs -j /dev/hda1
>     4. reboot to full linux
>
> My concern is that there already was this immutable .journal file on
> /dev/hda1.  tune2fs seemed to work in the context of the rescue system.  But
> I'm concerned that it won't have done exactly the right thing.  The date given
> for /.journal after reboot is yesterday, not today.

Right --- if you ran tune2fs on an unmounted filesystem from the rescue
disk, it will now have a new, hidden inode containing the journal, and
can delete the .journal file.

You can check this by doing "tune2fs -l" on the device --- it should
show "journal inode: 8" if it is using the hidden inode.