Re: e2fsprogs 1.23 problem handling 2.2 version 1 format journals

Hi,

On Mon, Oct 01, 2001 at 11:16:28AM -0600, Andreas Dilger wrote:

> This is a known problem of older 2.2 journal code.  It forgot to zero out
> the rest of the superblock when updating the journal format, so there is
> garbage in now-used fields.  This problem was fixed in later ext3-2.2 code.

Correct, but it's probably most reasonable to assume that those fields
are "reserved" (ie. must be zero unless defined in the future) for v2,
but "unused" for v1.  I don't think that e2fsprogs should ever look at
these fields for a v1 superblock, and it will just continue to cause
trouble for people with old journals if we do.