Re: e2fsprogs 1.23 problem handling 2.2 version 1 format journals

On Tue, 2001-10-02 at 12:58, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:
> Correct, but it's probably most reasonable to assume that those fields
> are "reserved" (ie. must be zero unless defined in the future) for v2,
> but "unused" for v1.  I don't think that e2fsprogs should ever look at
> these fields for a v1 superblock, and it will just continue to cause
> trouble for people with old journals if we do.

Except it looks to me as though the upgrade code is *not* zeroing out
those fields (from an attempt yesterday when I saw the problem to do a
V1->V2 upgrade using a 2.2 kernel).  This means ignoring the misset
fields just leaves a bomb in place to explode when the journal is
upgraded (at this point e2fsck explodes when it sees the journal).

Time to have a dig into that code...

	Nigel.