Re: e2fsprogs 1.23 problem handling 2.2 version 1 format journals

On Oct 02, 2001  13:09 +0100, Nigel Metheringham wrote:
> Except it looks to me as though the upgrade code is *not* zeroing out
> those fields (from an attempt yesterday when I saw the problem to do a
> V1->V2 upgrade using a 2.2 kernel).  This means ignoring the misset
> fields just leaves a bomb in place to explode when the journal is
> upgraded (at this point e2fsck explodes when it sees the journal).

Note that the problem only happened with a very specific version of
ext3 for 2.2, and only if you upgraded the journal version at that
time.  If you have existing v1 journals, this is not a problem, and
if you upgraded the journal (or created new v2 journals) at a later
time then you are OK.

A good heuristic for e2fsck would be to refuse "shared journal"
status on a local journal.  A slightly less restrictive heuristic
(but probably equally safe) is to only allow a shared journal inode
if the local filesystem UUID is one of the users.  Note that I don't
_think_ we add the local filesystem to the list of uuids, so we need
to special-case the "all empty" case, but I could be wrong.

Cheers, Andreas