Re: e2fsprogs 1.23 problem handling 2.2 version 1 format journals

On Oct 02, 2001  14:43 +0100, Nigel Metheringham wrote:
> So I think I have a few machines with corrupt V2 format journals (they
> are hidden as well to make life slightly more complex).  However
> e2fsprogs prior to 1.22 do not detect their is a problem, and the
> kernels I have used do not see a problem.
>
> I guess I could build some scripting to strip and recreate the
> journals... but this is all looking nasty :-(

See my other email regarding an "easy" fix to e2fsck to clear this up
(shared journals not allowed for inode journals, only device journals).
Even if such a fix does not make it into the mainstream e2fsck, you can
install it on all of your machines, it zeros the end of the journal sb
the one time needed, and then you can happily upgrade to the next real
release of e2fsprogs.

This problem will only affect a very small number of ext3 users, so in
one way you could consider it a waste of time to do for e2fsck, but now
I realize that we still need to fix this, in case these fields get
corrupted on disk.

Another helpful change would be for dumpe2fs -h/tune2fs -l to show
more data from the journal itself, including shared journal UUIDs.
I _thought_ it did so, but a quick check proves me wrong.  Now I see
that it only does this for a journal device.

Cheers, Andreas