root filesystem as ext3

I've turned my root filesystem to ext3 and also changed the filesystem
type in /etc/fstab. I initiated a powerfailure and watched booting. But
the kernel mounted root filesystem first read only as ext2 and does than
a fsck for ext2. The over partition, /boot and /vol1 (also ext3), are
handled as ext3. After booting all partitions, also /, were mounted as
ext3. But why root is checked as ext2?