Re: root filesystem as ext3

Hi,

On Fri, Oct 05, 2001 at 11:08:39AM +0200, Thomas Heinemann wrote:
> I've turned my root filesystem to ext3 and also changed the filesystem
> type in /etc/fstab. I initiated a powerfailure and watched booting. But
> the kernel mounted root filesystem first read only as ext2 and does than
> a fsck for ext2. The over partition, /boot and /vol1 (also ext3), are
> handled as ext3. After booting all partitions, also /, were mounted as
> ext3. But why root is checked as ext2?

You need to make sure that the root fs is mounted by the kernel as
ext3.  That means either that ext3 needs to be compiled in (not as a
module), or, if you've got ext3 as a module, you need an initrd which
uses ext3.

If it's a Red Hat kernel, then the answer is to rerun mkinitrd (and
lilo, of course!) after setting the fs type to ext3 in /etc/fstab.  If
not, then you'll have to provide a bit more info about your boot
process before we can help.