Re: root filesystem as ext3

Hi,

On Fri, Oct 05, 2001 at 11:47:00AM +0200, Eduard Bloch wrote:

> I have another question: how could I force the rootfs-type? I cannot
> pass the usuall mount option to the kernel (except of rw/ro), so how
> could I specify the rootfs manually? Sometimes I wish to switch back to
> ext2 without installing another kernel.

The simplest way (ie. the way to do it without patching the kernel!)
is to compile ext3 as a module and create two separate initrds, one
which mounts root as ext3 and one which mounts as ext2.  At least with
the Red Hat kernels (whose initrd behaviour I'm most familiar with),
it's the contents of /etc/fstab at the time that mkinitrd is run which
determines which root fs type is used for the root mount.