Re: Kernel Ooops probably in conjunction with lvm

Hi,

On Fri, Oct 05, 2001 at 01:17:45PM +0200, Wiktor Wodecki wrote:

> I've got a rather strange setup over here with about 6 ext3 partitions, one 50gig lvm partition and one 2 gig software-raid1 partition running under a heavily patched 2.4.10 kernel (various netfilter patches, freeswan, current lvm patch (1.0.1-rc4 and current ext3 patch). Furthermore I have all of those neccessary filesystem tools, so don't tell me to upgrade :-)

Is this a large-memory (>=1GB) box?  It appears that we've got a
buffer_head whose "b_data" is 0x900, which indicates that the buffer
is a highmem one.  Highmem buffers should not be used for filesystem
metadata: if ext3 is being given such a buffer, it's a core VFS fault
(and the VFS changed subsantially in this area in 2.4.10).  There have
been fixes to related code since 2.4.10, but it's also entirely
possible that it's an LVM interaction which is causing the problem.

Once ext3-0.9.11 is out for 2.4.11-pre*, I'd suggest giving that a try
and seeing if you can reproduce this.  I'm 99% sure it's not an ext3
fault, though --- the footprint is clearly a highmem buffer_head
occurring where we don't expect ever to see one.