hd sometimes 'hangs' a few seconds

hi,

I recently changed my filesystem to ext3 (from ext2), and since then, my hard
disk sometimes seems to 'hang' a few seconds (in fact the whole system hangs
then, and only the hd LED is on), before continuing normally... This happens
for example (not always though) when I untar an archive and try to ls in the
newly created directory...

Is there an explanation for this?

And if so, what's the best solution?
(I'm running RH 7.1.94 (roswell))