fsck confused about auto in fstab

For some odd reason, fsck has suddenly become confused about what "auto" means after I changed the root to ext3 and everything in fstab to auto. This is happening on a Redhat Pentium III box running 2.4.9 and I also installed just recently util-linux 2.11l and glibc 2.2.4. fsck is 1.2.5 as indicated below.

fsck 1.25 (20-Sep-2001) Checking all file systems. Could not determine filesystem type for LABEL=/ Could not determine filesystem type for LABEL=/boot Could not determine filesystem type for LABEL=bigdisk1 Could not determine filesystem type for LABEL=bigdisk2 Could not determine filesystem type for LABEL=softdisk Could not determine filesystem type for LABEL=/

LABEL=/ / auto defaults 1 1
LABEL=/boot /boot auto defaults 1 2
/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto noauto,owner 0 0
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
none /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
/dev/sda6 swap swap defaults 0 0
/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
LABEL=bigdisk1 /home/bigdisk1 auto defaults 0 2
LABEL=bigdisk2 /home/bigdisk2 auto defaults 0 2
LABEL=softdisk /home/software auto defaults 0 2
--

Maurice Volaski, mvolaski aecom yu edu