Re: ext3 patches vs Alan Cox patches?

On Tue, 9 Oct 2001, John Ruttenberg wrote:

> Bill Rugolsky Jr.:
> > On Tue, Oct 09, 2001 at 01:59:55PM -0400, John Ruttenberg wrote:
> > > The various ac patches have had ext3 for some time.  What is the difference
> > > between using Alan's patches vs the ext3 patches?
> >
> > Short answer: You get a kernel that works. :-P
> >

> What do I have to do to get a kernel that works?  Use the ac patches?  Use the
> ext3 patches with the released kernel?

use any of the recent -ac patches to get a fully working ext3 box, the
patches on the ext3 homepage for the -ac tree are only needed if you don't
want to wait until a new -ac release is out which (will) incorporate(s)
the new version of ext3

> I'm really stumbling around in the dark on this topic.  I don't quite know
> what the "mission statement" of Alan's patches is.

hmz, alternative vm, alternative vfs, alternative quota code, to be
continiued...

imho the -ac kernels performed a lot better recently than the "original"
(linus? dunno how to call it) tree

greetz michael