Re: ext3 0.9.12 for 2.4.10-ac11

On Thu, 11 Oct 2001 00:17:54 -0700
Andrew Morton <akpm zip com au> wrote:

> Tim Tassonis wrote:
> >
> > Hi
> > >
> > > Most ext3 work at present is concentrating on -ac kernels.  The
> > > change rate in Linus' kernels seems to have slowed now, so we'll
> > > try to get a 2.4.11 version of ext3 ready for next week.
> >
> > What a shame! I just migrated to ext3 when the patch for 2.4.10 came
out
> > and a quite pleased with it. Does this mean I can't upgrade to 2.4.11
> > until sometimes next week?
>
> 'fraid so.  It's safer that way.  We're really careful.
>
> > Personally I don't understand why there is more
> > concentration on thnixe -ac trees, since concentrating on the official
> > kernel would mean sooner integration of ext3 in the main kernel and
much
> > less hassle for users. I guess it's a some kind of political thing
(Red
> > Hat using -ac kernels and ext3 development payed by Red Hat?).
> >

> No....
>
> Alan is a lot more careful and conservative than Linus,
> and frankly, he gets a lot more work done.

I think not even Alan would agree on this. I remember him writing that he
sees the -ac Kernels as some kind of testbed for new patches, but maybe
that changed again. He sure does get a lot of work done though.

> His 2.4 kernels
> have traditionall had a *lot* of bugs fixed which Linus's
> ones haven't.  THere's a reason why all commercial distros
> base off -ac kernels...

Well, this surprises me a bit, since after "stabilizing", Alan is normally
the maintainer of the stable series. Why is then there a need for another
-ac tree (apart from the "testbed" theory)?

> Plus Linus tends to go off on wild experimental stuff and breaks
> things, as he did with 2.4.10.  Supporting -ac is a *lot* easier.
> The recent linus changes have put into question months of testing
> and performance tuning.

Well, if you're talking about the VM changes, I think that was the best
thing happening for a long time. My 2.4.10 (with ext3 and vmtweaks) runs
really stable, and better than the previous kernels. The next best thing
would be ext3, but that seems a bit unlikely at the moment. Of course I
can use a Red Hat kernel, but I really never do, I prefer the official
ones and am quite happy with it.

Bye
Tim