Re: ext3 0.9.12 for 2.4.10-ac11

On Oct 11, 2001  09:07 +0200, Tim Tassonis wrote:
> > Most ext3 work at present is concentrating on -ac kernels.  The
> > change rate in Linus' kernels seems to have slowed now, so we'll
> > try to get a 2.4.11 version of ext3 ready for next week.
>
> Personally I don't understand why there is more
> concentration on the -ac trees, since concentrating on the official
> kernel would mean sooner integration of ext3 in the main kernel and much
> less hassle for users. I guess it's a some kind of political thing (Red
> Hat using -ac kernels and ext3 development payed by Red Hat?).

People are so quick to jump to conclusions like this (maybe you have
been reading too many of Hans Reiser's posts? ;-).  The correct reason
is that Linus made MAJOR changes to VM and VFS in 2.4.10/11, both of
which ext3 works closely with, so that means extra effort is needed by
the ext3 developers to update for this kernel.

It may be that in the end the VM/VFS changes are good, but it is hard
on everybody when this happens in a "stable" kernel.  The good news is
that both -ac and Linus kernels have improved VMs since 2.4.x, x < 10,
but sadly it has split the number of VM hackers in half for each kernel.

Cheers, Andreas