Re: ext3 0.9.12 for 2.4.10-ac11

On Thu, 11 Oct 2001 09:29:44 -0400
Charlie Woloszynski <chw clearmetrix com> wrote:

> Stephen:
>
> As a user of ext3 who is shocked by the recent mail your team has
gotten, I
> just wanted to say thank you to your team for your diligent work.  The
world of
> Linux is a better place as a result of your work and I dare say, is
critical to
> making Linux an enterprise solution.  As such, your conservative
approach to
> keeping ext3 solid and stable when released with your blessing for each
kernel
> release is the only sensible thing.
>
> A heart-felt thanks from all of us 'quiet but grateful' ext3 users.

Sorry to have shocked you, but I too thank them a lot for their work. I
just questioned the direction of development, but as already said, I'm
probably wrong. I also said that ext3 is one of the best things happening
to Linux at the moment, that's why I subscribed to the list in the first
place. I might have been too rude and would like to apologize for that
and, as proposed, be a bit quiter from now on.

Regards
Tim

> Charlie
>

> "Stephen C. Tweedie" wrote:
>
> > Hi,

> > > You are certainly right, but that wasn't the point. The point is
your
> > > concentration on the -ac tree, which is not the official tree.
> >
> > What?  *What* concentration on the -ac tree?  We maintain both.  For a
> > long time the primary ext3 patches were on the linus-tree, not the -ac
> > one.  The support of the -ac tree is a recent addon, it's not where we
> > concentrate.
> >
> > However, right now the linus tree is unsettled, and ext3 on the linus
> > tree is *known* to have been broken by this, and we're still testing
> > the fixes.  Ext3 on -ac is still thought to be rock solid right now.
> > So until we've done more testing on the linus tree, the main supported
> > ext3 patches will be on -ac, not on linus's tree.
> >
> > That's a recent change, and it's short term situation while linus's
> > tree is in flux.
> >
> > Your claim that we concentrate on the -ac tree is false, and your
> > assertion that it's somehow due to both Alan and myself working for
> > the same company is bizarre.
> >
> > > If course
> > > it is your decision which kernel to follow primarily, you wrote the
code
> > > and I am only a non-contributing user of your stuff. I run 2.4.10
with
> > > ext3 since it came out and did not have one panic.
> >
> > You have been lucky --- fine.  I'm a little more cautious, and I don't
> > like releasing supported patches to end-users when I know for certain
> > that they contain regressions.  The e2fsprogs tools are totally broken
> > on 2.4.10, for a start.

Linus-