ext3 mounted fs still needs fscking after crash

Hi there,

I'm new to ext3, so I hope you won't find my question to be stupid. I also
hope this isn't the 1,000,000th time someone posts it.
My problem is the following: I converted my ext2 systems to ext3 using
tune2fs -j /dev/sda2 (or 5 for my /home, 2 is my root)
Then I modified fstab and put ext3 for each. After a reboot, the mount
command says they are mounted as ext3.
But when I simulate a crash by resetting the machine manually, they don't
behave the same. The /home (sda5) gets fixed instantly by EXT3-FS, and
needs no fsck. But for the root fs it says "/dev/sda2 was not unmounted
correctly, fsck forced", or something like that, you all know this message
by heart, don't you ? Then the fsck is done (though since my upgrade of
the e2tools without progress bar, do you know how to get it back, by the
way? I hope I won't need it anymore, but ...), and the fs is mounted as
ext3.
At least, it says so, cause in my dmesg output, I just see on time the
messages
EXT3 FS 2.4-0.9.10, 23 Sep 2001 on sd(8,5), internal journal
EXT3-fs: recovery complete.
for my scsi partitions... So I guess it is not *really* mounted as ext3.

One more clue: I first tried to use tune2fs -j /dev/sda5 when /home was
mounted, but with "auto" in fstab, it would mount as ext2. After using the
same command on the unmounted fs, it would mount as ext3 ... In the doc I
read, it's written that it is not important that the fs be mounted or not.
Here it seems to be somewhat different ...

I hope you can help me, and thank you in advance !

Pierric Descamps.