Re: Ext3 on NON-SMP system

Hi,

On Tue, Oct 16, 2001 at 12:50:23PM +0200, Rineke Miller wrote:

> I successfully installed EXT3 on my non-SMP system.
> This is a (single) P3-450 with kernel 2.4.10-ac11 with the
> ext3-2.4-0.9.12-2410 patch applied. Works like a jiffy, although I only
> converted a single disc (and a not really important one too)!
> (Oh and this is a SuSE 7.0 system)
>
> I'd like to note that the Util-Linux installation is pretty hard to do and
> can go horribly wrong. In order not to lose all my data on this I decided to
> make the executables and only copy "mount" to the /bin dir.
> Maybe this can be included in the docs?

If you're worried about it, you don't have to bother --- it's only
needed if you want the current support for the "auto" fstype in
/etc/fstab.  If you just mount as ext3 explicitly, any remotely recent
mount will work fine, but you lose the ability to mount automatically
as ext2 when you boot a non-ext3 kernel.